Welcome to the last full month of fall. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are just around the corner and most of us have probably gone from looking forward to the leaves changing colors to hoping they will just hurry up and fall off already.
For most everyone here, the gardening days are now going on hold, with just a few tasks that should be completed this month. We have kept the next 2 months lists pretty short as most everyone is getting ready for the upcoming holidays and we will be busy enough. As always, please stay safe; if you feel uncomfortable, do not understand how to complete a task, etc… please call in a professional.
- Change out your HVAC filter.
- Test your Smoke Detector
- If your oven was not part of the big cleaning we listed last month, make sure your oven is cleaned early in the month, before you start baking or cooking
- If you have issues with your gutters filling up with leaves, make sure you clean them out regularly. Article: A quick, easy, and safe way to clean your gutters (10 minutes & done)
Gardening & Grounds Checklist
- For all the plants and herbs brought inside, make sure you keep them watered
- Any tools used, make sure you clean them off & oil them
- Watch out for frost & hard freeze warnings – make sure you cover any plants, shrubs, or crops that may be damaged & cut back any damaged ones
- If you haven’t applied mulch around rose bushes, shrubs, flower beds, etc… you should do so now – this will help protect them from the freezing temps & help them come spring
- Raking them leaves, now instead of trashing them or burning them – create a compost pile for your gardening needs
Other items to consider
- Daylight Time ends the first Sunday of this month (November 4th, 2018)
- If you are traveling for the holidays, make sure you have started to finalize your travel plans; if you are driving make sure the vehicle has been tuned up, oil changed, & antifreeze levels and conditions have been checked
- Cooking Thanksgiving dinner for everyone? Reducing the Stress, In a Rush?, Dealing with Leftovers are just a few articles to help you out
- Start working on your gift giving lists, Holiday card lists, check up on your gift wrap, and shipping materials you have on hand / need