This July 25th & 26th, marks the third year that the USGBC of Illinois has hosted the Green Built Home Tour & my second year participating. Just like last year there are 16 houses on the tour ranging from simple remodels, to custom houses integrating different “green” features.
Looking for more cutting edge, some are achieving “net-zero” usage to one that is still being worked on as the builder strives to not only get ENERGY STAR, Net Zero Ready and LEED Platinum but he is also going after the hardest one out there – the Living Building Challenge (12). Truly whether you are just wanting to see how to do something, options available or just want to tour some interesting houses & townhomes, this tour is for you.
Due to this being there third year, they have figured out what works, what doesn’t and how to save some money – the upside – a lower cost to tour these homes. If you just want to check out 1 house with your significant other – $5. Want to tour a few of them – well both of you can get in for $20 to see them all. You can either purchase the pass on-site or even better register in advance get notification when next years is.
- West Town NetZero Home, 2444 W. Ohio St., Chicago
- Greenline Home #1, 3848 N. Nottingham Ave., Chicago, IL 60634
- Greenline Home #2, 4541 S. Greenwood Ave., Chicago, IL 60653
- Charles Heppner Artist Studio, 8628 S. Marquette Ave., Chicago, IL 60617
- Green Urban Cottage for a Retiree, 4249 N. Greenview Ave., Chicago, IL 60613
- Park 205, 205 W. Touhy Ave., Park Ridge, IL 60068
- The Tesla Home, 1224 Washington Ave., Wilmette, IL 60091
- Flexhouse, 33160 N. Cove Rd., Wildwood, IL 60030
- Project Greenfill, 7736 Monroe St., Forest Park, IL 60130
- LaFleur Residence, 624 S. Humphrey Ave., Oak Park, IL 60304
- Right-Sized Oak Park Home, 1026 Clinton Ave., Oak Park, IL 60304
- Uber Haus, 529 Eklund Ave., Geneva, IL 60134
- Batavia Eco House, 231 Shabbona Trail, Batavia, IL 60510
- Swainsen’s House at Serosun Farms, 45W489 Berner Rd., Hampshire, IL 60140
- Affordable Green, 202 Robbin Dr., Romeoville, IL 60446
- Pembroke Net-Zero Country House, 5644 S. Iowa Dr., Pembroke Township, IL 60958
Volunteers Still Needed:
Interested in helping out? Consider volunteering – they have two types of positions available, an all day area coordinator or a half day house volunteer. Not only do you get to see that one (or multiple houses) during your shift but when you are done you get free admission to all the other houses & an event T-Shirt. As mentioned above, this is my second year and I can say it is a blast not only meeting the builders, architects, but also the people interested in these homes.